A Better EHR

• I imagine a future where doctors never touch a keyboard or mouse when visiting with patients. All interactions will be face to face and personal -- the way most doctors want to practice medicine.

The interface for this new "Health Operating System" will be verbal and gestured controlled. Currently, I can speak a command and one of 4 digital assistants sitting on my desk will respond to me and carry out my wishes. AI, NLP, & machine learning is becoming something we can truly use in medicine, and this tech will be utilized to its fullest in the exam room.

Let's introduce a digital health assistant (Nursebot?) into the mix. Did you hear about Google's Duplex demo? If not, it's a game changer. Imagine each doctor training their own Nursebot to mimic their own habits and workflows. This Nursebot can answer your phone, repsond to messages, and follow up with patients. Not only does this Nursebot free up a doctor's time, she/he/it augments the doctor's intelligence. No human can keep up with every medical journal, research study, and other relevant medical findings that are released nearly every minute of the day -- but a Nursebot AI can.

Thoughts? What would be your ideal version of a new EHR?

• Hands free voice based EMRs are a much needed interface son physicians can focus on patient. The NLP will have to focus strongly on topic extraction and bringing structure to unstructed inputs so useful charts can be generated.

Besides voice a modern clinic could have large mounted displays that show clinical timelines and analytics to help give context to visits and visual queues from voice commands.

A full clinic 2.0 should also involve a streamlined patient signup, scheduling, notification, chat, and health record portal. The issue with most EMRs is they overly focus on just the charting and billing for physician personas, but a modern one needs a much broader workflow product strategy wise.

All of this is a TON of work and will need to be sequenced for MVP and perhaps focus on primary care only first which itself is a wide vertical.

• Large mounted displays are a must. Good point. Instead of the patient not being able to see what the physician is looking at on the computer, project it on a 60" 4K TV and discuss it together.

The initial primary care focus is correct, especially with the growing numbers of direct primary care physicians ditching insurance, and thus, clunky EHRs.

• Core Team

@benmaisano See Forward for a pretty good example of what you're talking about, Ben.

• I love what they're doing. I've been stalking them ever since they launched.

Their website has been recently updated with some nice visuals of this: https://goforward.com/

• @brennenhodge a virtual conversational tool that learns from and incorporates with the EHR is a must. Patients need more in-depth support at home, at non-business hour times, in real-time. Saw a great example of a virtual conversational service called iCare via Telehealth Services https://www.telehealth.com/interactive-solutions/icare-navigator