Tell us the worst parts about Healthcare. Give us a brief summary. Share your solution.

• We need to highlight this fact: Healthcare has issues! Which causes you to have issues. From medical bills to records that cannot be transferred, to everything in between. We want to know! Give us a brief description (only what you are comfortable sharing) and tell us the solution.

Share worst parts. Share the solution.

The goal is to highlight that we have major problems in healthcare. We don't have to let these things continue. We can act on them and make it better. You can tell us how!

• @MeganJanas I will start so that we all feel comfortable and can see how easily it is to share.

In 2007, my twins were born early. They needed the NICU- one for 4 weeks and the other for 5 weeks. I had this funny feeling that our insurance company was going to claim that "they didn't know that we had two babies." Which is funny, because the care, the ultrasounds- all indicated there were in fact 2 babies. So, about 2 weeks into the stay at the hospital, my husband and I walked into the billing department just to tell them, hey, we do have two little patients here, please make sure that insurance knows. We were assured, they did.

Fast forward, we get home. Bills start to show up. The largest, $240,000 was marked paid. Ok. One down.... We waited. The next showed up: $40,000. Unpaid. Reason: You didn't tell us you had 2 babies. Ummm, what? What? Are you serious? This can't be real. Oh, yeah. We got to 5 appeals out of 7. On the 5th appeal, they finally paid that last 40. But it was so stressful.

Solution: Knowing at the start of care, who will be on this policy, and the insurance company understanding that this is a very stressful time, pay the bill, would have been a great start. Hanging this over their customer's heads was irresponsible.
    Having more tools at one's disposal would have alleviated this. Making sure that customers feel supported, and reassured would have made this time different. When life is in the balance, money is the very last thing you think of. With this industry, money is the first thing thought of. This needs to change. It's people, caregivers, and life first- always.

I was reminded the other day of this, when the video of a man lambasting a politician, came up in my feed. One of his lines is: "That the healthcare industry is a for-profit business is immoral." I think some profit in healthcare is a good idea. But billions in profit is hurting us, robbing us of savings, and not adding any longevity or healthy years to our lives. We can fix that, and this is why I am a part of Citizen Health.

• @MeganJanas So can relate to this. We also had twins and the insurance co. could not get it through their heads that that means there are two claims for every appt. So insane for years!

And itś up to you as the parent to catch it, resubmit it, and appeal it.

And our co. still only accepts paper claims so there is the added burden of copies, forms, and assembling.

Agreed. Healthcare can be profit-driven. It matters how the profit is being derived and at what amounts.

• Insurance functions this way as an acceptable default model because no one is challenging the status quo. I fully understand the business side - needing to ensure claims are not over-paid or unnecessary, but they operate from an intentionally adversarial position to the customer. Not as an advocate. What does it take to start a new healthcare plan/insurance carrier that completely throws the current insurance business model out the window and shifts focus to providing simplicity, transparency, and value to the consumer? That new business model could dominate the market.

• @Ed-Swann This is what we intend to do, Ed! Flip the model, change.... everything.

• @JoeCallender It is really a wonder.... But please, stop making it hard. There are so many nuances to twins. People don't grasp what we experience, from insurance blunders, to "Yes they are two different people, they like different things." (I have a Cavs fan and a Golden State fan, the Finals around here are exuberance and consolation.)

Turning to profit in healthcare. Where should we make profit? What should be done with it? How about the notion of driving down healthcare costs and the economic benefits of that? If we could inject about $10,000 into the average working family, does this have merit? Is this a good idea?

• @Ed-Swann I always try to keep in mind health insurance is principally a financial instrument, and I look at it through that lens, not a healthcare, and especially not a health lens.

• Even as a financial instrument, it's not getting the job done.

When merchant boats were sailing around the world for the first time, we needed a way to minimize losses. Thus, we came up with insurance.

But now, we can send millions of dollars to the other side of the world in seconds only costing pennies.

Our health & wellbeing should be treated differently than wooden boats lost at sea.