What Is The #1 Thing That You Dislike About Healthcare?

• At Citizen Health, we are dedicated to solving the biggest challenges in healthcare. Everyone has a story to share in which a healthcare experience could have been better. In order know what needs to improve, we need your help. Tell us about what just has to be better about healthcare. We can change it, and it begins with your ideas!

• I have two!

The insane prices of insurance premiums. This expense is my higher than my mortgage and often the second highest expense for employers. Current average annual premiums for a family of 4 is $27,000!

The lack of transparency. I want to know how much a medical service will cost me and I want to compare it with other prices. When I ask how much something will cost, I don't want to get the response, "Well, it depends on what insurance you have."

• Core Team

INTERMEDIARIES!

The insurance cartel, the hospital and health system cartel,federal and state governments, ERR (Electronic Reimbursement Record, not EMR or EHR), Congress and lobbyists are all culprits in this sickcare system we have. At least 1/3 or $1.2 T, has little or nothing to do with health care.

Intermediaries have destroyed the physician/patient relationship and oh, so much more. It's time to take back health care in this country!

• My doctors only offering me options available for my plan and me having to research my best options and paying out of pocket for them. It's sad that physicians working inside insurance networks are encouraged to direct patients toward cost effective options instead of best available ones.

• Core Team

@nabyl And a large percentage of intrasystem referrals are anything but cost effective, they are done to keep the patient in the system at any cost.

• I am really tired of there being so little resources for caregivers and those who are working to care for those who need help. It is already stressful enough to have a loved one who needs managed and sustained care. But when you are left trying to coordinate with doctors or understand medications and schedules- it compounds that stress. Add into that, the stress of paying for it and it is the perfect storm. We need to be able to create a system where it operates seamlessly, where calendars can be shared across care teams, where communication flows freely and includes the patient and caregivers, and where the financial burden is lessened in times of terrible uncertainty. Also, caregivers need to be able to align with other caregivers to talk about what they are going through and be able to find more resources for communication and connection with others. The ability to do these things will help our communities. Let's fix the networking parts of healthcare, and actually network them! It's past time!

• @meganjanas - yesterday I saw an article referencing US health care by a tech professional stating “the only two numbers we need to focus upon in health care is 5 and 50. Five percent of the population consume 50 percent of the resources.” How do your comments dovetail with this guy’s position?

• @johnhoben This part of the population, the 5/50 is more than likely not receiving the adequate care that they need. I have read that in many cases, the act of becoming ill- adds to more illness. What would it mean to have the food, shelter and caregiving aide that you need to either heal in peace or die in dignity? We are failing fantastically on this front. Continuum of care, social workers, aide to home health workers or family member care supplementation - resources given in the right areas - could mean the substantial difference in reducing this 5/50 statistic. I read the other day, California is piloting a program, Food as Medicine. The preliminary data shows that when underserved populations have meals delivered, the costs of caring for them can drop by 50%. Some people go to the hospital just to have a meal and to feel less isolated. We can fix this, it's just a matter of focusing on the right things that will make the most difference.

• @meganjanas Agreed, Megan. Are you familiar with Meg Murray’s team at ACAP or Jeff Myers at MHPA?

Jeff introduced me to the founders of http://www.adaptationhealth.org yesterday as Jeff serves on their advisory board. We’re going to schedule a call with @BrennenHodge sometime late June to discuss potential synergies as David of Adaptation Health described their model as being an incubator that’s “flipped the funnel” for innovative solution companies like Citizen Health. They’re interested in learning more as they work closely with the Medicaid managed care health plans nationally, both for profit like those listed on MHPA’s website and not for profit like ACAP’s website.

You’re also right on being ill adds more illness, particularly behavioral health conditions like depression which creeps into cardiovascular disease, brain heart body connection.

• Core Team

@johnhoben John, I know David Kulick. We worked together on a previous project which was probably a bit ahead of its time called Harmony Health. Both in New Orleans and Gulf Shores. David then moved on to Adaptation Health.